As a mother, you face many difficulties every day, but illness is something that you need to pay special attention to and you need to know as much more about them. It would seem like a runny nose, what could be more harmless? But in a baby, this process proceeds, like many things, in a special way. And, accordingly, a runny nose in a newborn child requires close attention and help from the parents.
Symptoms of a cold in infants
It will be difficult not to notice him, because the child instantly changes at the first signs of the disease. In addition to, in fact, nozzles, he becomes moody, irritable, can sleep and eat badly.
If the reason lies in an allergy, then a runny nose is usually accompanied by tearing of the eyes and intensifies with repeated or prolonged contact.
Physiological rhinitis in newborns
We hasten to reassure you, in children under one year old (it is up to this age that the child is considered breastfeeding), the presence of nasal discharge may be physiological and does not mean a cold at all. A newborn, on the other hand, may have symptoms until about two months of age. And very often this is the norm.
The thing is that when a child is born, his nasal passages are not yet adapted to our conditions, therefore, at first the baby’s mucous membrane is very dry, and then, on the contrary, very wet. This period is called the physiological rhinitis of newborns.
The full work of the nasal mucosa of the child begins after the tenth week of life. It is not necessary to treat this condition of the newborn. You can only maintain comfortable conditions in the child’s room and monitor his well-being during this period.
Causes of a runny nose in infants
Let’s look at what roots a cold can have:
- Vasomotor. Caused by problems with the vessels of the mucous membrane. You can immediately discard it, since in newborns this rhinitis is the rarest;
- Allergic. This subspecies of the common cold in newborns is usually accompanied by tearing of the eyes of the child. The reaction can be almost anything. Food, household chemicals, dust, mother’s milk. If it was not possible to calculate the allergen, then it is better not to try to cope with this ailment of the child on your own;
- Viral, aka infectious rhinitis. There are only two reasons. Bacteria or viruses, and the separation from the spout is a defensive reaction.
How to treat a runny nose in newborns?
You, as a mother who loves her child, are certainly very worried about this issue. You must begin your way of dealing with a cold by cleansing the nasal passages of a newborn from mucus. To do this, depending on the size of the child’s nose, you can use cotton filaments.
An excellent alternative to such nasal cleansing can be the use of a sterile sea salt solution and an aspirator. Now for the child there is a wide range of these products, and moreover, they are easy to use. You just need to drip or inject this solution into the nose of your newborn crumbs, and then remove the nozzles with an aspirator.
At the same time, do not worry that the separated liquid of the child will get into your mouth, this is absolutely impossible, thanks to the design of the aspirator. But the effectiveness of such a procedure for a child is very high. Sea water very gently looses mucus and allows it to be better separated from the newborn’s nose.
Remember, your task is to do your best to alleviate the condition of your newborn baby and prevent the mucus from thickening or, even worse, drying out. For a baby who breathes only through his nose for at least a year, this is very dangerous.
It is necessary to prevent drying out not only of the child’s mucous membrane, but also of the room. Get a humidifier, if this is not possible, then hang wet clothes or put a basin of water in the newborn’s room.
Surely you have already heard about the need to bury breast milk in the nasal passages of a child with a cold? Opinions about this method of treatment are controversial.
- Someone is considering this option as an ineffective and even dangerous relic of the past. After all, milk is primarily food, and if you start to bury it in a spout, you will thereby create a favorable environment for the reproduction of harmful microorganisms;
- Other mothers, on the contrary, enjoy it. Milk contains many protective factors that can prevent disease.
What to choose – decide for yourself.
The use of various drugs
It is not worthwhile to independently prescribe all kinds of advertised drops to your newborn. If you have been prescribed such drugs, then take the dosage with all possible care. Correctly measure the number of drops for the crumbs and use the drug for no more than the specified period.
When a newborn has a cold, there are three types of drops with different effects:
- Vasoconstrictor. The name speaks for itself. Designed to relieve mucosal edema. It is better to use them before bedtime, to remove the swelling. The action does not start immediately, that is, the next minute after it is dripped, the nose will not breathe, however, this is not a reason to immediately repeat the procedure;
- Antibacterial. Used for infectious causes of the common cold;
- Immunomodulatory and antiviral. These solutions activate the child’s immunity to fight the disease. They are used both prophylactically and for treatment.
- Increased body temperature of the baby. 37.5 under the age of one year and 38 – older;
- The runny nose lasts more than two weeks;
- Appetite, stool, sleep of the newborn are disturbed;
- A runny nose appeared after contact with a suspected allergen;
- A crumb, does not eat and is rapidly weakening;
- Redness of the throat joined the runny nose;
- We noticed wheezing in the child.
Additional measures for a cold
A child under one year old knows how to breathe only through his nose, so imagine the difficulties he faces when he starts having a runny nose. Not only breathing becomes difficult, but sucking along with it. And, accordingly, your newborn baby will not gorge itself.
- Therefore, your task for these days will be regular cleaning of the nose with the above methods and frequent attachment to the chest. If the child is already drinking water, you can offer it to the child more often.
- Remember to ventilate and humidify the room. And before going to bed, you can slightly raise the edge of the mattress to improve the drainage of the discharge and prevent it from entering other cavities.
Is it necessary to treat a cold in an infant?
Having become a mom, you most likely have already received a lot of “valuable” advice from the older generation or friends. One of them may be a recommendation not to treat a runny nose to your child. Many do not take it seriously, believing that this condition resolves itself quite successfully.
But it is simply impossible for a baby to do without treatment. This should be done at least in order to alleviate his condition and prevent complications. And there are a lot of them for such a seemingly simple and common disease like a runny nose. This is otitis media, bronchitis, bacterial conjunctivitis. And these are only the most common consequences of an untreated rhinitis.
Dear mommy, do not rush to worry and panic, with the right approach, attention and care, your child will soon return to its normal state. The main thing is to follow these simple rules and do not start the treatment of the baby, taking him seriously, because now you have already found the answer to the question of how to cure a runny nose in a newborn.