Every woman, being pregnant, tries to normalize her nutrition, so that her body and, accordingly, her baby, receive the maximum benefit. You are probably also in a positive mood, trying to eat lots of fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods during pregnancy. True, from time to time, you may have thoughts about the benefits and safety of certain foods.
For example, a watermelon during pregnancy is a very healthy berry, but it is not always possible to buy a tasty and safe fruit when buying. And there is also a threat that it can cause additional swelling, which is not necessary at all during pregnancy.
So how much is it good and how much harm? Let’s figure it out together!
Benefits of watermelon during pregnancy
The benefits of watermelon during pregnancy are really great, for example, watermelon pulp contains a large amount of useful vitamins (A, B1, B2, C, PP), as well as macronutrients (magnesium, potassium, sodium, calcium) and trace elements (zinc, iron, fluorine, iodine , cobalt).
And yet, many doctors not only do not prohibit, but strongly recommend buying watermelons during pregnancy, if there are no serious contraindications. In my opinion, this is correct, judge for yourself:
- Watermelon contains valuable folic acid, the same one that is often prescribed during pregnancy;
- Sweet fruit helps the body to remove toxins, excess salt, sand;
- Watermelon is an excellent prophylactic remedy for constipitation ;
- Thanks to watermelon, your body works like a clock – metabolism and digestive system are adjusted;
- The sweet fruit has a beneficial effect on your nervous system, improving your mood;
- You can forget about the symptoms of anemia, as watermelon is prized for its highly digestible iron;
- It contains almost no salt and acid, while it contains a valuable element that dissolves alkali in the body. And this helps to relieve exacerbation of infectious diseases of the genitourinary system (for example, cystitis.
- Watermelon seeds have the ability to kill and remove parasites from the body. Therefore, they are recommended for the prevention and treatment of helminthiasis;
Important! Can watermelon be used during pregnancy if you suffer from puffiness? It is possible, even necessary, but in the right quantities and at the right time of day.
The fact is that if you eat a large amount of watermelon, your body will not have time to cope with the watery part of the fetus, respectively, this will increase the swelling of the body. And if you eat fruit in small portions, it will help remove excess fluid and relieve puffiness. Also remember, you should not eat watermelon at night, otherwise you will only harm your body.
Harm to sweet fruit and existing contraindications
But before fully trusting a watermelon during pregnancy, I will tell you about the second side of the coin. Drinking watermelon can negatively affect your body if:
- You have diabetes or are prone to obesity, as this fruit contains a lot of sugar;
- You have stones or have a serious urinary drainage problem;
In such cases, you need to consume watermelon in small quantities, only in the morning, so that your body can spend the acquired calories and remove excess water.
The main danger comes not from the watermelon, but from improper cultivation. If during cultivation nitrates were added to accelerate the ripening of the fruit, you can get severe poisoning. One of the symptoms of poisoning is diarrhea.
And this during pregnancy is fraught with great consequences – chemical compounds seep through the placental membrane and enter the blood flowing to the fetus. Thus, not only mother, but also her baby can be poisoned!
To prevent this from happening, you need to learn how to choose the right quality fruit so that it is a delicacy on your table for the benefit of your health.
What are the contraindications to the use of watermelon:
- Chronic bowel disease;
- The presence of large stones in the genitourinary system;
- Stage 2 diabetes mellitus;
- Allergy ;
- Disease of the pancreas in acute form.
In the presence of any of the above diseases, the use of sweet berries is contraindicated. Moreover, if a woman has any of the diseases during pregnancy.
How to choose a good watermelon
Watermelon should be chosen carefully during pregnancy. First of all, remember: you need to buy the fruit during the period of natural ripening. The first fruits are likely to be improperly grown, with the addition of nitrates and other fertilizers for rapid growth.
The most optimal period of the year is mid-August. From this period, the price of the sweet berry falls, and the opportunity to find a safe fruit increases. But even these, at first glance, well-grown watermelons may contain poisons. Therefore, when choosing, try to examine the fetus. If it is stuffed with nitrates then:
- when pressed, it is softer than usual;
- red when cut, but does not crack with a characteristic sound;
- when tapping, a dull sound is heard, as if you have a deflated ball in your hands;
- when cut, it has a too smooth fruit surface;
- you can see many yellow thick veins in it – if the fruit is normal, they are white and thin;
- if you put a piece in water, it will turn pinkish after a while.
During pregnancy, it is important to remember to eat fresh food. During hot months, the fruit can deteriorate, this is due to microbes that actively multiply in it, so you should not buy already cut watermelons. It is better to store it in the refrigerator, no more than a day. And what other fruits are useful to eat during this period.
The safest period of pregnancy to buy a sweet fruit is the second trimester . Watermelon during late pregnancy should be eaten with caution, and if there is no craving for this product, it should be completely excluded.
The day of birth is approaching and many foods should already be severely limited, or excluded from the diet. During this period, there is a strong load on the internal organs, primarily on the kidneys. The benefits of watermelon will be minimal, and additional difficulties with removing water will adversely affect your well-being.
Important! Is it possible to eat watermelon during early pregnancy? Provided that the watermelon was grown without nitrates, that is, it is a pure product, its use is allowed.
Remember, I wrote that watermelon contains folic acid, so in the first trimaster of pregnancy it is very important for you. The main thing is not to eat too much watermelon and not consume it in the evening. The optimal amount is 3-4 times a week, a couple of slices. Watch your diet, pamper yourself carefully and be healthy!